Dear Heidi,

I was the chair of Access Points for Expressions Task Group, and I agree
that this is a complicated and confusing area. And while I can't comment
on what actions PCC will ultimately take in response to our
recommendations, I hope I can at least provide some context behind our
report and continue the discussion.

Your question about conventional collective titles beginning with
"Works," did come up in the course of our task group's work, but we
didn't address it in a conclusive way in our final report. This is in
part because at the outset of our work, the section of LC-PCCPS 6.27.3
which required LC catalogers to distinguish "Works" in this way (as was
the case under LCRI 25.8) was removed in the August 2012 release at the
request of the PCC
(http://www.loc.gov/aba/rda/pdf/LCPS_changes_2012_Aug.pdf) about midway
through our task group's timeline.

As I understand it, this change was in response to the The RDA Policy
Task Group, which said the following about it in its final report (April
2012, p. 81): TG recognizes that this has been the practice for years,
but sees no good reason to continue it. Objections: Adding the date
anticipates a conflict that may never happen, a practice that LCPS
6.27.1.9 disallows in the case of access points representing works. Date
is not a particularly useful way to distinguish collected works; users
will often know the edition but not the date, so that seems a more
useful addition. In practice the instruction causes catalogers not to
add the date of the expression to the authorized access point, but the
date of the manifestation. Finally, it is bizarre that same LCPS insists
upon adding a differentiating qualifier in all cases, even when in most
of those cases there is only one expression (Works) but disallows
qualifying in cases where there are more than one conflicting
expressions (multiple French translations of Hamlet).

And while I generally agreed with this, based on feedback and questions
about our report, it was clear to me that many catalogers and users
continue to find the practice of adding dates useful in the current
environment and wanted additional guidance about how proceed in the
absence of the LCRIs and the deleted section of LC-PCCPS 6.27.3.

I understood the removal of this requirement to mean that LC catalogers
would no longer be required to add a date to the access point "Works" in
all cases. The LC training modules further instruct not to add a date to
the access point in the absence of conflict, but elsewhere say that
dates and other attributes may optionally still be recorded separately
if readily available. I take this to mean that they WOULD continue to
add a date in the presence of conflict. Thus, the first-cataloged
instance of a creator's collected works would be represented by "Works"
without a date in the access point (though it could still be recorded as
a separate element), but further instances would include a date
(presuming later editions of the same author's complete works
constitutes a conflict).

I don't know that this accurately summarizes LC's practice, and of
course what this all means for PCC catalogers is the question at hand.

The DCM Z1 intro states: "PCC practice:NACO participants may contribute
name authority records for works or expressions as needed for
cataloging." And what remains of LC-PCCPS 6.27.3 also acknowledges the
possibility of NARs for expressions existing with elements LC would not
have included, instructing LC catalogers to use these records when
found. Within these statements, we generally saw room for PCC catalogers
to use cataloger's judgment to include dates (or other attributes) to
the access point to resolve conflict, even if LC would not have done so,
I don't think our task group necessarily wanted to encourage adding
unnecessary attributes in the absence of conflict (or omitting necessary
ones in the presence of conflict), and that any optional or additional
elements should of course be formulated following LC-PCCPS guidelines
for use of controlled vocabularies, codes, etc. Thus, if choosing to
include dates, we did recommend following the established practices of
using Gregorian dates in the access points, and following appropriate
ISO or EDTF standards to represent dates of works/expressions in 046 $k
and $l.

I also take this to mean "[Creator]. Works. [Date]" is acceptable for
the purposes of recoding and using records previously established as
such under AACR2 (provided the creator's name is also RDA compatible),
just as we accept "RDA compatible" elements such as fuller forms of
names etc., as found in other access points established under AACR2 even
when current practice would not have required them in the absence of
conflict. I believe the NACO Phase 2 revisions flipped many records
beginning with "Selections" to "Works. Selections" as well, some of
which include dates and some of which don't. So it seems likely that we
will see "Works..." with and without dates in NAF and bibliographic
records. No matter what, access points for works and expressions raise
authority and bibliographic file maintenance problems much thornier than
those for names, and what will emerge as "best practice" is still
somewhat of an open question in my mind.

Best,

Matthew

--
Matthew C. Haugen