On Tue, 11 Jun 2013, Wilson, Pete wrote:

> Say you’ve got a book that is a bilingual edition of a creative work.
>
> 245:  :  Intruder in the dust = $b Intruso en el polvo / $c William Faulkner.
>
> As I understand it, we are to create two name-title entries—for example:
>
> 700:12: Faulkner, William, $d 1897-1962. $t Intruder in the dust.
>
> 700:12: Faulkner, William, $d 1897-1962. $t Intruder in the dust. $l Spanish.

  Why would we need the 1st 700:12 example above when it serves the same
purpose (i.e. to the patron) as the 100 + 245 $a? Do we really need that
kind of redundancy, or is it some blue sky absolute perfection concept
that RDA designers thought would have to be done for the sake of the
profession?

Cheers!

jgm

  John G. Marr
  Cataloger
  CDS, UL
  Univ. of New Mexico
  Albuquerque, NM 87131

     ** Forget the "self"; forget the "other"; just
consider what goes on in between. **

Opinions belong exclusively to the individuals expressing them, but
sharing is permitted.