Regarding question 2, I don't see why we would need to do this.  Subfields $i and $w are valid in 4XX fields.  The main problem is trying to use 5XX fields for all kinds of relationships, which is leading to a lot of clutter in the indexes.  The MARC format was not designed for linked data.  4XX and 5XX fields were created to support access, not to provide links between entities.

John Hostage
Authorities and Database Integrity Librarian //
Harvard Library--Information and Technical Services //
Langdell Hall 194 //
Cambridge, MA 02138
+(1)(617) 495-3974 (voice)
+(1)(617) 496-4409 (fax)