I just encountered something weird,

OCLC record 794856362 (Roald Dahl’s Matilda [sound recording] : the musical), has a controlled 700 field for “Kaye, Paul, ǂd $$d 1965-“. Notice the erroneous ‘$$d’ at the beginning of the d subfield. If you click on that link you’ll see that ‘$$d’ is not in the authority record where his name appears simply as ‘Kaye, Paul, ǂd 1965-‘.

I don’t know how it got there, and I certainly don’t know how to fix it.

If you uncontrol the name in the Matilda record, delete ‘$$d’ and control it again, then a mysterious ‘d’ automatically gets inserted at the beginning of the subfield. I’ve tried this on multiple computers, with the same results. I’ve tried creating a new field with Kaye, Paul and the same thing happens. I’ve checked different records with his name in it, and it seems to be unique to the Matilda record, however, if you try to relink his name in any other record the mysterious ‘d’ pops up, again.

Has anyone encountered this sort of thing before? Has something been corrupted in the authority record that I can’t detect, or is this purely a problem on OCLC’s end?

Nathan Humpal

Metadata Librarian

University of Alabama Libraries/Box 870266/Tuscaloosa, AL 35487-0266