Thanks, I got this too and made a note to try out a test record when I return.

Marilou

________________________________
From: Program for Cooperative Cataloging [[log in to unmask]] on behalf of Whitacre,Cynthia [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Monday, June 17, 2013 2:30 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [PCCLIST] OCLC control number expansion

OCLC has previously announced that sometime after July 1, 2013, the OCLC control number will reach 1 billion.  When that happens, OCLC will increase the length of the OCLC control number to accommodate a variable length string.  The date at which this number will be reached is unknown; it depends on how fast WorldCat grows.  The highest OCLC control number is currently around 849 million as this is being distributed.  With that number and past growth rates in mind, it is now anticipated that it will be a number of months before the 1 billion number is reached.

However, if you load OCLC records into your local system, that system does need to be prepared to accept this expanded number on the date when it is reached some months from now.  OCLC recommends that you prepare now, so that no problems in loading records occurs at that future date.

For detailed information on the format of the OCLC control number in OCLC records, on OCLC control number expansion, and test files of records containing expanded control numbers, please see:
http://www.oclc.org/batchload/controlnumber/number-expansion.en.html

Cynthia M. Whitacre
Manager, WorldCat Quality & Partner Content Dept.
OCLC