I think the 100 (1xx) field is valuable for shelflisting (where is that thing on the shelf?); since I shelflist online, it’s helpful and efficient to see immediately what I’m shelflisting on: a consistent name access point, or on a “title main entry.”

With music expressions, the 245 title often is not helpful, because a work (or manifestation) can have so many different names. And a “controlled” access point can be clickable in an opac, to point one to other manifestations or related … things.

It does seem that use of “7xx [12] $a … $ t …” is handled better by ILS’s, as this field potentially connects more easily to AAP strings or to other access strings in a catalog (more easily than to the 100/240 combo). I certainly like the idea (for a multi-expression manifestation) of having these access points in the 7xx fields; it seems that current practice is also to use a “compilation” access in the 240 field.

Sorry to jump in a week after this died down. I’ve gotten behind in keeping up with PCCLIST. (Or perhaps it subsequently was revived under a different thread.)

Jill

Jill Shires, Music Cataloging Librarian

University of NC at Chapel Hill

PO Box 8890

Davis Library, CB #3914

Chapel Hill, NC 27514-8890

919/962-9709 (work), 933-4052 (home), 423-5078 (cell)

"As every cat owner knows, nobody owns a cat."      >^..^<

                               Ellen Perry Berkeley