Long, Chris Evin <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>  Let’s say I  have multiple places of publication and multiple publishers
> with the same publication date; e.g. off the top of my head, New York : New
> York University Press and London : Allen & Unwin, 2013.****
>
> ** **
>
> Do we code the 264 _1 as we formerly did the 260: “$a New York : $b New
> York University Press ; $a London : $b Allen and Unwin, $c 2013”?****
>
> ** **
>
> I ask because, although most RDA records seem to follow this pattern, I’ve
> seen a few (albeit very few, like OCLC # 801604577) with the 264 _1 in this
> manner: “$a New York ; $a London : $b New York University Press : $b Allen
> & Unwin, $c 2013”****

** **

> I’ve looked at the RDA Toolkit and the MARC 21 Bibliographic Format for
> instructions and examples of this situation, but can’t find anything that
> explicitly addresses it.  Maybe the instructions at RDA 2.8.2.4 and
> 2.8.4.5, which say to “record the place names/publishers' names in the
> order indicated by the sequence, layout, or typography of the names on the
> source of information” were carried over by catalogers to subfield order in
> the 264?****

Since RDA's a fan of listing "just the facts" without regard to display, we
still tend to defer to ISBD formatting for much of the record, including
publication statements.  Appendix D is a summary of the ISBD, but it's
pretty light on telling us precisely what goes where in a 264 statement.
The ISBD itself provides more helpful punctuation and element patterns
(page 124 of the current edition), which I quote below.

. — Place of publication or production : name of publisher or producer, date
. — Place of publication or production : name of publisher or producer ;
place of publication or production : name of publisher or producer, date
. — Place of publication or production ; place of publication or production
: name of publisher or producer, date (place of printing or manufacture :
name of printer or manufacturer, date)
. — Place of publication or production : name of publisher or producer,
date ; place of distribution : name of distributor, date
. — Place of publication or production ; place of publication or production
: name of publisher or producer, date (place of printing or manufacture ;
place of printing or manufacture : name of printer or manufacturer, date)
. — Place of publication or production = parallel statement of place of
publication or production : name of publisher or producer, date
. — Place of publication or production : name of publisher or producer =
parallel statement of place of publication or production : parallel
statement of name of publisher or producer, date
. — Place of distribution : name of distributor, date (place of printing or
manufacture : name of printer or manufacturer, date)
. — Place of publication or production : name of publisher or producer,
date (place of printing or manufacture : name of printer or manufacturer)
. — Place of publication or production : name of publisher or producer :
name of publisher or producer, date
. — Place of distribution : name of distributor, date
. — Place of publication : name of publisher ; place of production : name
of producer, date ; place of distribution : name of distributor, date

--
Mark K. Ehlert                 Minitex
Coordinator                    University of Minnesota