Long, Chris Evin <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Let’s say I  have multiple places of publication and multiple publishers with the same publication date; e.g. off the top of my head, New York : New York University Press and London : Allen & Unwin, 2013.

Do we code the 264 _1 as we formerly did the 260: “$a New York : $b New York University Press ; $a London : $b Allen and Unwin, $c 2013”?

I ask because, although most RDA records seem to follow this pattern, I’ve seen a few (albeit very few, like OCLC # 801604577) with the 264 _1 in this manner: “$a New York ; $a London : $b New York University Press : $b Allen & Unwin, $c 2013”

I’ve looked at the RDA Toolkit and the MARC 21 Bibliographic Format for instructions and examples of this situation, but can’t find anything that explicitly addresses it.  Maybe the instructions at RDA 2.8.2.4 and 2.8.4.5, which say to “record the place names/publishers' names in the order indicated by the sequence, layout, or typography of the names on the source of information” were carried over by catalogers to subfield order in the 264?

Since RDA's a fan of listing "just the facts" without regard to display, we still tend to defer to ISBD formatting for much of the record, including publication statements.  Appendix D is a summary of the ISBD, but it's pretty light on telling us precisely what goes where in a 264 statement.  The ISBD itself provides more helpful punctuation and element patterns (page 124 of the current edition), which I quote below.

. — Place of publication or production : name of publisher or producer, date
. — Place of publication or production : name of publisher or producer ; place of publication or production : name of publisher or producer, date
. — Place of publication or production ; place of publication or production : name of publisher or producer, date (place of printing or manufacture : name of printer or manufacturer, date)
. — Place of publication or production : name of publisher or producer, date ; place of distribution : name of distributor, date
. — Place of publication or production ; place of publication or production : name of publisher or producer, date (place of printing or manufacture ; place of printing or manufacture : name of printer or manufacturer, date)
. — Place of publication or production = parallel statement of place of publication or production : name of publisher or producer, date
. — Place of publication or production : name of publisher or producer = parallel statement of place of publication or production : parallel statement of name of publisher or producer, date
. — Place of distribution : name of distributor, date (place of printing or manufacture : name of printer or manufacturer, date)
. — Place of publication or production : name of publisher or producer, date (place of printing or manufacture : name of printer or manufacturer)
. — Place of publication or production : name of publisher or producer : name of publisher or producer, date
. — Place of distribution : name of distributor, date
. — Place of publication : name of publisher ; place of production : name of producer, date ; place of distribution : name of distributor, date

--
Mark K. Ehlert                 Minitex
Coordinator                    University of Minnesota