One of the odd deficits in RDA is the lack of a place to record the original language of a Work as distinct from the language of an Expression. Accepting that language is not properly an attribute of the Work should not preclude naming the original language of a Work as an important piece of contextualizing information about it, as important as date, place of origin, and history. Original language of the Work should be a defined attribute with those others. Maybe LC and PCC could work on adding that to Work attributes in RDA 6 as a step toward more flexible, maybe even automated solutions to the task of naming Expressions differentiated by language.

Stephen

On Wed, Jun 5, 2013 at 10:00 AM, Scharff, Mark <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Interesting discussion.  Is it too soon to speculate on whether or not it would be possible to code field 377 in work authority records?  I *think* I understand that "Language of Work" is not an RDA attribute; but if there is some sort of tacit understanding that a work authority record for a work with a textual component also represents the original expression, encoding the 377 for the original language would seem reasonable.  BTW, I was on the Expressions task group that Dave mentions, so I know how thorny all this is.

Mark Scharff, Music Cataloger
Gaylord Music Library
Washington University in St. Louis

-----Original Message-----
From: Program for Cooperative Cataloging [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Reser, Dave
Sent: Tuesday, June 04, 2013 1:17 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [PCCLIST] Distinction between the work and original expression (was: NARs with ampersand in subfield $l - do not reuse LCCN)

Hi Adam,

As you noted, LC does not routinely make an additional NAR representing the original language expression-- this has been the long-time practice in the NACO file for general works, where the authority record for the work also represents the original expression.  For example, the access point "Shakespeare, William, 1564-1616. Hamlet" represents Hamlet the work, as well as the original (English) expression, and there is no authority record for "Shakespeare, William, 1564-1616. Hamlet. English."

You are correct that the "Mail carrier = El cartero" example in the LC-PCC PS for 6.27.3 illustrates this approach (an earlier version included "$l English" in the first analytic added entry, but this was removed after concerns were raised by the PCC/LC PSD RDA Policy Statements Task Group about using different access points for the original work and original expression in some cases).   Comments on the final report of the PCC Access Points for Expressions Task Group also raised this issue, and follow-up activities on that report have been deferred by the PCC Policy Committee to the PCC Standing Committee on Standards, which is planning a possible questionnaire to get the sense of the PCC.  The LC-PCC PS for 6.27.3 is labeled as LC practice because there has been no resolution at this point (there is a note in the PS that indicates the PCC has the topic under discussion).  [You also mentioned Appendix 1 to LC-PCC PS for 6.27.1.9-- I wouldn't read too much 'RDA policy' into that statement considering the first cautionary sentence "Note: This appendix is provisional until the Program for Cooperative Cataloging has reviewed and revised it for RDA."] The guidelines for when LC would make a title or name/title authority record are in DCM Z1 (we generally wouldn't make an authority record for the original expression in cases like this); great flexibility is extended to PCC folks there as well-- "PCC practice:  NACO participants may contribute name authority records for works or expressions as needed for cataloging."

This is a complicated issue given the impact on the legacy authority file as well as bibliographic issues-- what one might do in a 'perfect' RDA environment without this legacy would likely be different.  You may know that some (at least 1) PCC library has already started moving in this direction and feels very strongly about this, so I can't advise you on what is right or wrong at this point, but will say that for now LC will wait until the issue is further discussed by the PCC, potential solutions identified, and a plan for file maintenance is in place before changing its practice.

Dave