I read LC-PCC PS for 25.1 to mean that an analytical authorized access point should be made for a work that forms a PARTICULARLY substantial part of the resource, in comparison to the other works in the resource.

For example, a book that contains Paradise Lost and a bunch of poems by other authors that were inspired by Paradise Lost.  In such a case I would certainly want to include an analytical AAP for Paradise Lost.

On the other hand, if I have a compilation of 20 short stories, none of which stands out particularly, I don't think any work in the collection represents a "substantial part of the resource."  I don't see why an AAP should be added for the story that happens to be first in the sequence.  There is no reason to assume, without more information, that such placement indicates importance.   To me, LC-PCC PS for 25.1 justifies NOT making an AAP for a work that just happens to be the first.  To do so seems to me silly and arbitrary.  Of course, making AAPs for ALL the stories would certainly have value.  Like that's going to happen!

From: Program for Cooperative Cataloging [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Carlton, Tim
Sent: Thursday, June 06, 2013 7:00 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [PCCLIST] Access Points for Related Works for Compilations

Exactly!
Perhaps the two most important words in RDA: "cataloger judgment".

One could argue this ad absurdum.  For example: one could argue, I suppose, that a compilation containing Milton's Paradise Lost, Paradise Regained, and Lycidas is a 'poetry anthology' and thus an exception.  But does it really serve any purpose to not provide access to at least the first (both the first in the collection and by far the predominant)?  I'd even argue, in fact, that even Lycidas is 'substantial' and deserves an access point -- but that's my personal opinion (which I suspect Bob might share), and others can differ.  And that is exactly the point.  "Substantial" is not defined, and I think that's a good thing (neither is "burdensome").

Timothy J. Carlton
Senior Instructor
Cooperative and Instructional Programs Division
Library of Congress
202-707-5323

Usual disclaimers apply