What you guys are saying... YEAH!

Although I do disagree with conflations such as "FOX Sports,Glenn Beck,Lady
Gaga,and 'Stairway To Heaven'" because each does have its place... properly
understood.

And especially I disagree with whoever wrote that dismissive remark about
beer. (Note: I drink high-end wine too.)

However: I love radio. Especially radio where intermediary assistance
points the way to better appreciation and wider repertoire. On the radio I
learned more than half the music I know and love. While I listen to genres
as diverse as bluegrass, Southeast Asian, and moldy fig -- my main squeeze
is classical. When I arrived here in Boston there were (let me think) five
(five!) classical music radio stations. Okay, four and a half. They all did
it differently too; such choice is beyond belief today. (We are down now to
one and a half.)

Then again, Boston also had four or five daily papers! (Down now to a
lucky-for-us two.) Talk about actual diversity! Each promoted a reasoned
(or sort of) political view unhomogenized by AP or the NYTimes service. One
could read *in print*  a startling variety of opinion -- which, granted,
one may also find on the net today, but a scant forty (scant!) years ago
there it was in one's hands before one's eyes. Who today remembers when Dad
came home with an armful of the evening papers to digest?

Evening papers, even?

So, yeah, radio. Sad. Where has Life with Luigi gone?

clark