I've done something similar on my Macs.  As OSX is slowly morphing
into a clone of iOS,  I have found it less than useful for my
everyday work.  I simply have frozen my Macs at OS 10.6.8, the
preferred OS for many audio recording professionals, with XP, the
most common OS in the broadcast industry, on Bootcamp for PC
programs.  Yes it's less convenient than Parallels, but it's not an
emulation.

These OSs are preferred by those who value stability and the ability
to run older programs.  As I have frozen my computers' OS, I have
also done so with the programs that run on them, with the single
exception of Safari, and it's plug-ins.

Advantages are stability and the lack of upgrade costs .  The only
disadvantage that I can see is that I will not be able to run the
"latest and greatest" programs.  Most of the "improvements" that I've
seen  lately are entirely for the "coolness" factor, or to be more
like working on an iPad.  Which to me is a disadvantage.  As an
example, Logic Pro X came out today.  It requires OS 10.8.4.  A quick
look at the features reveals nothing of real use to me.

So that's my approach.  Pick a moment in time when everything worked
to your liking, and lock your computers down.  As they say, YMMV.

Bob Cham