> On Jul 17, 2013, at 8:44 AM, Tom Fine wrote:
>
> > Hi Carl:
> >
> > For most corporate everyday tasks, there was enough user interface and
> computing power back with Windows 2000 (an update of WinNT that brought the
> user interface in line with Win98, and improved many things). Most of that
> power was brought into WinXP for home users, and XP Pro continued the
> improvements for corporate users. So for most of us, there is no reason
> except forced obsolesence to "upgrade" any further. In my opinion, only
> someone with more money than brains runs out and gets every "upgrade."
> There is now a long history of lardware, "feature-creep" and ill-conceived
> "reinvent the wheel" disasters (like Windows 8, for instance). If something
> works well, the wise man sticks with it until he's absolutely sure that
> something better has finally come down the pike. Newer <> better.
> >
> > -- Tom Fine

Hi Tom-You are sure right about that.  If you upgraded every time a new
version of Windows came out, you could have enjoyed the pleasures of Win 98
ver. 1, ME, VISTA and now Win 8.  It seems like MS tries to make every
other version be trash.  My wife just got a bargain laptop, but it had to
come with Win 8.  We fiddled with it, and made it look like Win 7, except
for the Start button. Isn't it ironic that we all complained about having
to use the START button to STOP the computer, and now when it's gone, we
whine?  Supposedly the WIN 8 upgrade (Win 8 SP2, or Win 8 Ver. 2, or Win
8.5?) this fall will have a not fully functional  start button. You can get
an App for Win 8 that gives you the start button back.  We have learned to
live without Start. As long as she can get on-line with Bloomingdale's, all
is well.

--
Frank B Strauss, DMD