On 7/2/2013 7:08 PM, Donald Clarke wrote:
> Last week a European friend wanted some info available in a book I happened to have; I didn't want to copy-type several pages, so I went to a FedEx shop to have copies made, and the kid there made a great show of looking in the book to see that it was copyrighted (duhh) and refused me service. Information? Fair use? Review purposes? The kids at FedEx are being trained not to be able to use their own judgement so that FedEx can cover their asses because American copyright law is a shambles.

Several years ago I went into a shop to have some copies made of a small
music book. The clerk was adamant that because the book was copyrighted,
they couldn't do it. I pointed out that the notice read "Copyright 1993
by Paul J. Stamler", and that I was in fact Paul J. Stamler, making
copies of my own book to sell on consignment. It took a lot of arguing
and the intervention of the store manager before they finally consented
to print it.

Peace,
Paul