I was buying 78s before the LP came out, but switched to LP and later 45s
for singles.

Yet another DC

In a message dated 7/30/2013 12:36:12 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

The  first albums I bought were Columbia ten-inchers by Percy Faith, about
1953.  I'm still fond of "Carnival Rhythms". I explored classical music by
means of  the public library (Walter's Mahler), and the Musical Masterpiece
Society  through the mail, budget ten-inchers of cheaply made European
recordings, but  not bad performances.

Another DC

On Jul 30, 2013, at 5:42 AM,  Don Cox wrote:

On 30/07/2013, Donald Clarke wrote:

> There's  no way to know now, but I would dispute that kids were buying
> e.g.  Belafonte's big hit albums. 1956 was the year I was 16 and went
> to  work in a record shop, and kids didn't have enough money for albums
>  then. But grownups were buying albums, not singles, and that's
>  increasingly where the money was for the record companies, long before
>  popcrock pushed evertyhing else off the Billboard chart.

I started  buying albums when I first got a Summer job as a student. That
would be the  Summer before going away to College.

I think my first purchase was  Krips conducting Beethoven's Eighth, and
then Beecham doing the Enigma  Variations. An album of "Chicago Style
Jazz" with a cover by Ben Shahn and  a best of Billie Holiday. Chris
Barber.

Later on, "Songs for  Swinging Lovers", "Such Sweet Thunder", and a few
Mercury LPs.

This  is all around 1960-1.

Regards
--