Uh, the Founding Fathers INTENDED for a union of "50 squabbling countries," so as to avoid a
tyrannical over-arching centralized government. I would say that the bigger problem of post-1932
times is that we've gone way too far afield of the Founding Fathers' vision and a massive,
multi-level, intrusive and un-democratic government gets in the way of individual freedoms and
initiatives. In an effort to "protect" everyone from themselves, the only result is to "protect" us
from our own liberty. Worst of all, the megaglomerate government is more wasteful, corrupt and
inefficient than any private enterprise (not that megaglomerations of private enterprise are
efficient, honest or frugal).

My big take-away from modern life is that all mass "organizations" of human beings are good for is
waging very destructive warfare. In any other enterprise, size is the enemy of intelligence and
efficiency. So I'd much rather have 50 (or more) smaller groups of people trying different solutions
to the same problems with the marketplace deciding which works best in each place.

If I had been in charge, I would have never allowed broadcast networks under centralized ownership
in the first place, much less some sort of "government sez it's good for you" broadcast
conglomerate. I'd have focused on protecting individual entities in each markets, but allowing them
to share content (ie mutually fund programming, and everyone distribute it -- sort of like network
programming via affiliates) for a certain number of their broadcast hours every day. The rest of the
hours would have to be hyper-focused on the local market. I'd also have required a local
public-access component for every broadcast license (a reasonable number of hours each week must be
handed over to locals who can produce their own programming, but the station is welcome to sell
commercial time so as to make money off those hours). Under those rules, local owners would have to
hone a localized business model to be profitable.

-- Tom Fine