Hi Steve:

I have not yet seen discussion of platinum disks on either the ARSC or
the AMIA list-serves. Who is the manufacturer of these disks?

This is my personal opinion, but what's more important than the
reflective surface is the "permanence" of the chemical formulation in
the dye layers. This and the manufacturer. I'd pass on a platinum disk
if the manufacturer is not JVC/Taiyo-Yuden, Verbatum or MAM-A (they all
manufacture in-house to tight tolerances and use the better chemical
formulation for the dye layers). Also another consideration - gold
reflective surfaces have been around long enough, I imagine, that we
would have heard reports about it adversely effecting the chemicals in
the dye layers. We do not yet know if platinum could adversely effect
the chemicals in the dye layers of the disk. Platinum "sounds great" but
don't forget - it's the pioneers that have the arrows in their backs!!!

Just my two bits.

John Schroth