Andy, just to offer a little direct input to you, I think you are right to
take the opportunity to get current on your OS and computer HW. Ideally, it
would be nice to update the audio interface, too, to something that uses USB
(that won't be around forever, but it should be with us for 5 years or so -
a computer lifetime) and that has both a-d and d-a built in. That would
simplify things a lot, make your current choices less restricted, and allow
more flexibility in the future.

The Apogee is a nice unit, however, and if you are not able to replace it,
your plan with the Lynx card looks like the only way to go. The pity is, the
next time you are facing this decision, your playback card, that new card,
and therefore the converter, might be orphaned. You might look at taking
that $700, see what you can get for the Apogee, and attempt to budget for an
RME UCX or UFX. These units are much more agile in their compatibility and
RME has a history of supporting OS changes over multiple generations, unlike
many other makes. Their FW drivers support Win7 for products that are
getting toward 10 years old. I sold my FF800 to an archivist, and I think
it's working fine for him.

One advantage of a self-contained interface is that you are freed from
dependence on one computer to support your work. You could easily keep your
old desktop, or find an older laptop, to use as a backup or a portable
system. The UCX, I think, will even record to memory cards, independent of a
computer. Don't know if that would benefit your style of working, but it's
nice to have options. Our friend Richard Hess uses one.

Do you do multiple simultaneous inputs - multitrack recording? Or
synchronized overdubbing? If not, you don't have to sweat the power of the
computer so much. I would, unless you have a way of isolating the machine,
look for something that is quiet! I ended up building my own studio PC, just
so I could address that aspect.

It's a big decision for you, if it looks like another ten years before the
next opportunity comes along. I doubt that good quality equipment will get
any cheaper than it is today. Better to look to the future than to hold your
current choice hostage to the past. If you have the option.