So I'm going to be the only party pooper (read with heavy Austrian
accent and a machine gun cross your chest)?

Having spent years with both a turbo charged 1200 and an EMT 948 and now
an EMT 950, I have some points.

1. The 1200 is your best bang for the buck but it's not a great
turntable. If you do go that route place it on a really heavy slab of
marble so that you reduce the rumble.
2. EMT turntables cost more but are worth every sent. They produce much
tighter bass than the 1200, assuming same cartridge. Works magic on 78's.
3. The EMT 950 is almost impossible to find and costs a lot but the 948
is all over eBay and if you wait long enough you can pick one up for a
reasonable cost. They are worth the investment IMHO.
4. The 948 can be easily modified to play 16" records. No money needed
just a metric Allen set. IF you get one I'll email you the instructions,
really easy.
5. The 948 has a really easy variable speed option and if you're handy
with a soldering iron you can even make a multi fixed speed change box
for 78 setting.

Back to my hole
Shai

בתאריך 24/07/13 8:36 PM, ציטוט John Schroth:

--
בברכה,
שי דרורי