Hi, Peter,

I never recall seeing a tape machine marked "Do Your Own Concert".

I came across this

> Showing with Howard Wise’s experimental media art gallery in New
> York, Downey created pieces like his 1969 Do Your Own Concert, which
> records and plays back the viewer’s sounds via interactive
> eight-track,

here

http://galleristny.com/2012/04/artist-as-explorer-with-video-camera-juan-downey-the-invisible-architect-at-the-bronx-museum/

and wonder if it was related. The additional buttons make this look
kiosk-ish.

I took a quick look through "Evolution of the Audio Recorder" by Phil
Van Praag and nothing jumped out at me.

I tried your image in Google Image Search including a more rectified
version using the new "Upright" tool in Lightroom 5...nothing useful.

I also tried matching the image searching on 815 and tape recorder, but
nothing.

My guess is that it is European rather than American or Japanese and
while my link to Howard Wise's experimental media art gallery in NY and
the reference to Downey specified 8-track we don't know if that is
really correct and/or a similar installation could have been done in
another venue with the reel.

I am thinking something along the lines of Braun, Beocord, Telefunken,
etc. The buttons below the deck imply it is an electrically remotable
deck, but the image at the right hints at mechanical transport levers.

Good luck and please let us know if you ever find anything.

Cheers,

Richard