At some point in the future the archive I work for may have to deal with
hundreds, perhaps thousands, of helical audio recordings made in Alaska
using Soundscriber SS-124s (helical recorders which capable of recording
24 hours on a 2 inch tape medium). When we conducted a brief and spotty
inspection a couple of years ago of the tapes, recorded in the early
1960s, now stored a warehouse without climate controls, we found that
many of the tapes showed signs of de-lamination; the oxide coating is
flaking off of the base of many tapes. I'm trying to get ahead of the
curve and was wondering if anybody here could point me to literature, or
offer advice, on consolidating magentic audio tape oxide coatings?

Thanks in advance.

--greg schmitz

--
Greg Schmitz
Alaska Moving Image Preservation Association (AMIPA)

The Alaska Moving Image Preservation Association is a 501(c)(3) non-profit dedicated to media preservation and education to ensure long-term access to Alaska’s moving image heritage.