I've had an Esoteric turntable for a number of years and find it to be quite trustworthy and sturdy as well as producing great sound for the three speeds and types of disks.  The Rek-O-Kut CVS-14 is the current version of it, since it's been sold under various names.  This is one of the major vendors:

http://www.esotericsound.com/turntable.htm

________________________________
 From: Tom Diamant <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Wednesday, July 24, 2013 10:54 AM
Subject: [ARSCLIST] Turntable Recommendation ?

The three speed turntable of the Arhoolie Foundation has died and I don't
know if it's repairable.  We're looking for a good replacement.
Here's what we need.
1. Three speed
2. Variable pitch
3. Sturdy (we use it every day, all day long)
4. good specs (low rumble, low wow & flutter)
5. Although we have yet to have a use for a turntable that can play 16 inch
transcriptions, it perhaps might be something we would look at.
6. Not insanely expensive!

I'm sure many of you know more about this than I do, so any recommendation
would be appreciated.
Tom Diamant
Arhoolie foundation