 From: Tom Fine <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Thursday, July 25, 2013 3:58 AM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Turntable Recommendation ?

Hi John:

The SL-1600 was less robust and was a fully-auto turntable. The MKII version has a known issue with one of the little belts in the automatic mechanism. I think most of us who transfer grooved disks in a semi-pro or pro environment want fully manual tables and want a very robust build. The SL-1200 models offered all of that. KAB's mods make them excellent for 78 transfers. I really think the fluid damping is key since many 78s you find these days can be warped or were pressed off-center in the first place. The fluid damping stops some of the tonearm jiggle so it can track at a reasonable weight and stay in the groove.

Shai is right about the EMT tables having lower rumble specs. But they cost a fortune and are complex and don't have a reputation of being indestructable like the Technics 1200's. I've found that you can lower the rumble spec on your Technics by first of all making sure you're using the heavier rubber mat (which was standard on at least the MKIV and MKV models) and more importantly using a spindle clamp like what KAB sells. Regarding rumble, it's also worth noting that _many_ "golden era" records had rumble baked in, also audible hum and of course extra hiss from the tube cutting electronics. The baked-in noise was much less in the era after Neumann took over and dominated the lathe market, but Neumann's automation parameters led to either timid (too low overall level) or dynamics-compromised cuts by too many engineers. Some guys figured out how to push the envelope with dynamics, and apparently passed this on to the modern generation of cutters. That
 said, the modern way seems to be use a lower overall level, allowing "safe" headroom for the automation, and then press on super-quiet vinyl. That works, too, but makes the rumble spec on your turntable more important since you need to then playback at a higher overall level. In other words, the s/n onus is now more in the playback stage, as was traditionally the case with European cuts. "Golden Age" American cuts tended to concentrate on maximum overall level while still accomodating dynamics (or not -- ie AM radio singles). The reason was that pressing would inevitably be on noisy vinyl. Even prime-era RCA Indianapolis vinyl is much more noisy than typical British, Dutch or German pressings of that same era. And every other company's US plants produced noisier records than RCA. Columbia massively improved their vinyl by the late 60s, but then were going with paper-thin records so the flimsy problems replaced the noisy problems. I have never heard an
 LP, pre-1970s, from Mercury, Atlantic, Capitol or US Decca/ABC/MCA plants that isn't on relatively noisy vinyl. Mercury's Richmond IN plant was the worst offender, followed by whatever plant Atlantic used.

-- Tom Fine

----- Original Message ----- From: "John Haley" <[log in to unmask]>