Our feature this month is the documentary The Librarian and the Banjo (now available on DVD), about Dena Epstein's groundbreaking archival research on the African origins of the banjo.

Next up are a handful of new jazz releases, including bass player Charnett Moffett's solo album The Bridge, Living Colour drummer Will Calhoun's Life In This World, Omar Sosa's Miles Davis tribute Eggun: The Afri-lectric Experience, vocalist Cecile McLorin Salvant's debut album WomanChild, supergroup BWB's Michael Jackson tribute Human Nature, and the Erroll Garner documentary No One Can Hear You Read.

Under gospel, soul and R&B we're featuring the compilations Overdose of the Holy Ghost: The Sound of Gospel Through the Disco & Boogie Eras and The Best of Merry Clayton, as well as new albums from Omar, Sheléa, and Maysa.

Rock and hip hop releases include Kanye West's Yeezus, Public Enemy's Most of My Heroes Still Don't Appear on No Stamps, Bad Rabbits' American Love, and Bloc Party's Four.

Last but not least is Corey Harris's celebration of True Blues, a new Destiny's Child Video Anthology, and our summary of May 2013 black music releases of note.

Brenda Nelson-Strauss
Editor, Black Grooves
Archives of African American Music & Culture
Indiana University
2805 E. 10th Street, Suite 180
Bloomington, IN 47408
www.blackgrooves.org