Going back a few steps to get back to the topic, Richard's description
of the earlier ownership limits is correct, and it provided for a system
like Tom described because even the networks could only own a very few
stations.  So over 95% of affiliates were independently owned, and they
could only own one per service in a city.  The downfall came in three
steps -- and I was there.  1) First the ownership limits were raised to
about 21 stations in each service -- AM, FM, and TV -- but still only
one per service in a city. 2)  Then the FCC did away with the
"Anti-Trafficking Rule" which required stations that were sold be held
by the new owners for two years before reselling.  This HAD stopped
speculating by profit mongers who would buy a company and strip its
assets for reselling.  I was in a meeting where Commissioner James
Quello castigated the other commissioners by saying "You are going to
see stations being bought and sold like pork bellies."  It was the 80s
and had protected stations from green-mailing, but then suddenly
stations were being trafficked for too high amounts that put them in
unpayable debts.  3) The third step was when the father of one of my
students who owned Jacor discovered that he could run TWO WLW-AMs in one
city by contracting 23 hours a day on a second Cincinnati AM station.
When this became all the rage nationwide, the FCC gave up and removed
all ownership limits.  Jeff Jacobs's father sold Jacor to Clear Channel
and they proceeded to buy over 1,100 stations by over-leveraging most of
them.  The HUGE group ownership with few limits to how many stations in
each city they could run is what ruined American radio.

Mike Biel  [log in to unmask]