Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Folk Music in America
From: Tom Fine <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Mon, July 01, 2013 9:18 pm
To: [log in to unmask]

I've been poking around the MP3s. This is great stuff. The books are
_very_ complete but not overly
obtuse. Making MP3s and scanning the books must have been an
undertaking. Much appreciated. I see
the point about cassettes vs sometimes scratchy LPs, but my experience
with LOC's products is the
duped-cassette versions were often very bad-sounding. I always assumed
lowest-bidder syndrome. In
general, I always thought LOC anthologies were compiled and manufactured
by and for scholars, not
audiophiles.

One thing I don't understand -- assuming the master tapes for these LPs
still exist (you'd think
they would if they were always in the possession of the LOC), then why
can't they be reissued as
FLAC and MP3 downloads via Smithsonian Folkways. It seems it wouldn't
cost very much to digitize
1970s vintage master tapes given the vast resources of the LOC. They'd
probably make back their
digitization costs in a few years, sooner if they also sold downloads
via iTunes and Amazon.

-- Tom Fine