Supposedly, Win systems are capable of dual or multi-booting.  I've tried to set this up a couple of times to no avail.  That might be the answer to using various Windows versions on the same computer and switching to use each platform on a dedicated basis, but sharing files to each.  Has anybody achieved multi-booting?

________________________________
 From: Tom Fine <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Tuesday, July 16, 2013 1:39 PM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Audio workstation recommendations?

One thing we are considering at work, and I'm considering in the studio, is disconnecting the XP machines from the network, basically freezing them as-is and using them until the hardware fails. At work, there are certain programs I must use that are very old and won't run on anything beyond XP. I do not wish to spend a lot of money and re-learn something that was already hard to learn the first time (specifically, digital mapping software). We also use a version of Quark for publishing our products that would be costly and need re-learning to "upgrade" or replace. And, I publish our books in Microsoft Publisher, and there is no way I'm going to re-make all my templates and styles in some new software. Life is just too short.

Under this scenario, files move from the XP machine via a "sneakernet" of a USB fob. An extra layer of PITA, but much cheaper and less PITA than re-learning how to do everything.

Just writing this confirms to me that the best idea is just disconnect the XP machine from the network and use it until it dies (hopefully, coincident with my retirement time). I can easily do my communicating on an iPad or even move other tasks over to a new MacBook or Windows laptop.

Life is just too short to relearn how to use a damn computer!

-- Tom Fine

----- Original Message ----- From: "Arthur Gaer" <[log in to unmask]>