Yeah, I make a new image each time I feel my XP is up to date and running smoothly.  Thank god for my CD-ROM boot disk with all my necessary utilities on it.  It's saved me more than once.

________________________________
 From: Robert Cham <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Tuesday, July 16, 2013 2:15 PM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Audio workstation recommendations?

I've done something similar on my Macs.  As OSX is slowly morphing into a clone of iOS,  I have found it less than useful for my everyday work.  I simply have frozen my Macs at OS 10.6.8, the preferred OS for many audio recording professionals, with XP, the most common OS in the broadcast industry, on Bootcamp for PC programs.  Yes it's less convenient than Parallels, but it's not an emulation.

These OSs are preferred by those who value stability and the ability to run older programs.  As I have frozen my computers' OS, I have also done so with the programs that run on them, with the single exception of Safari, and it's plug-ins.

Advantages are stability and the lack of upgrade costs .  The only disadvantage that I can see is that I will not be able to run the "latest and greatest" programs.  Most of the "improvements" that I've seen  lately are entirely for the "coolness" factor, or to be more like working on an iPad.  Which to me is a disadvantage.  As an example, Logic Pro X came out today.  It requires OS 10.8.4.  A quick look at the features reveals nothing of real use to me.

So that's my approach.  Pick a moment in time when everything worked to your liking, and lock your computers down.  As they say, YMMV.

Bob Cham