WinXP support under BootCamp is more hardware dependent, rather than OS/software dependent.

I suspect it has to do with WinXP driver availability for newer hardware, firmware variations, etc.

Mac hardware up through some models that were introduced in the middle of 2010 can still boot 32-bit WinXP using the older BootCamp 4.  If the hardware supports XP it will boot even if the OS on the Mac side is 10.7.  And even up until 10.8.3 (after which BootCamp 5 was introduced which added Win8 support but subtracts any 32-bit Windows support).

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5634

Arthur