 From: Arthur Gaer <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Tuesday, July 16, 2013 11:28 AM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Audio workstation recommendations?

Hi Tom,

If you or anyone is still using WinXP you should really try to be rid of it within the next nine months. That's when Microsoft will remove all support, which most importantly means security support, for XP:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/endofsupport.aspx

"After April 8, 2014, there will be no new security updates, non-security hotfixes, free or paid assisted support options or online technical content updates..."

If anyone's XP equipment talks to a network in any way, you'll want to replace it, upgrade the OS, or keep it entirely disconnected from the Internet from that time forward.  I can only imagine the security holes the hacker community is keeping in their pockets until April 9, 2014.  You really don't want to find out what those might be.

Personally I'm also a big advocate of Macs as well, enhanced security being one significant benefit.

On Jul 16, 2013, at 1:21 PM, Tom Fine <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> To be honest, if I had the funds to get rid of all the legacy WinXP aspects of my studio, I'd go Mac today.

Arthur Gaer

Senior Systems Manager
Harvard University
Department of Mathematics