In the original question Greg said that these were 2" Helically recorded tapes from the 1960's on a SoundScriber  - typically these types of recordings were used for air checks or dictation/transcriptions or  logging phone calls over very long time periods.  I am pretty sure that the base stock would be Polyester and not Acetate.

That said, I would agree that baking is likely not advisable if delimitation is occurring (or even if it isn't with something as finicky as this), at least without a great deal of inspection and work first to try to figure out precisely what is going on and to develop a treatment plan for the specific problem.

Consider - this is polyester that has helical tracks (long ones on 2" tape) moving VERY slowly for recording, that has been stored in non-temperature controlled environment in Alaska for about 40 - 50 years. You can imagine what the material has done over time - now track that with a period device - forget AST or any fancy technology to make sure that the head is where the track happens to be based on the distortion that has occurred. Yikes!

I would definitely not bake these tapes until I tried a whole bunch of other things first.

Jim Lindner

Email: [log in to unmask]

  Media Matters LLC.
  450 West 31st Street 4th Floor
  New York, N.Y. 10001

eFax (646) 349-4475
Mobile: (917) 945-2662

www.media-matters.net
Media Matters LLC. is a technical consultancy specializing in archival audio and video material. We provide advice and analysis, to media archives that apply the beneficial advances in technology to collection management.