Hello all,

I am wondering about how other users are encoding dates that are not specifically dates of creation in their EAD output.

As I understand it, <unitdate> in EAD 2002 is reserved explicitly for the “creation year, month, or day of the described materials.” The @DATECHAR allows for inclusion of some contextual information so that, for example, “accumulation” can be noted. However, dates of contribution, publication, manufacture, broadcast, and so forth do not seem like a natural fit for the element.

In addition to dates of creation, the US content standard DACS allows for dates of publication, broadcast, and “recordkeeping activity.” In Canada, the RAD standard allows for dates of custody, publication, contribution, collection, reproduction, distribution, broadcasting, and manufacturing (often at the item level), in addition to creation and accumulation.

I am looking for solutions to managing these kinds of dates in EAD – we have considered putting them in a <chronlist> as events like so:

<chronlist>

   <chronitem>

     <date type="broadcasting" normal="19990000/199990000">1999</date>

     <event>

       <name>Bobby Broadcaster</name>

       <geogname>XXXXXXX</geogname>

     </event>

   </chronitem>

   <chronitem>

    NEXT EVENTS WOULD GO HERE....

   </chronitem>

</chronlist>

Does anyone have a better suggestion for managing dates other than creation associated with an archival description? Do you have examples of your EAD output?

Thanks in advance,

Dan Gillean
Atom Product Manager / Systems Analyst,
Artefactual Systems, Inc.