Hello again,

Thank you all for your helpful suggestions. As ever, I appreciate the wisdom of the people on this list, and the goodwill with which the community shares its knowledge!

I agree Mike, that using <unitdate> with @DATECHAR still seems preferable - and as we are currently preparing a DACS template for AtoM 2.0, we will definitely want to follow the crosswalk specifications included there.

The problem for us is the Canadian RAD standard, and what it allows for dates and events. For those of you unfamiliar with it - if you know the cataloguing standard AACR2 at all, then you practically know RAD - simply take every added field related to archives, bung it into a Notes Area, and you have RAD. Consequently there are many areas and elements in RAD which are a poor fit for archival materials (Standard number area, Publisher's series area etc.), and equally, there is at times poor support for relevant archival information in the standard. Specifically however, because it was based on a model designed for published materials, RAD allows for numerous types of dates (custody, publication, contribution, collection, reproduction, distribution, broadcasting, and manufacturing), as well as associated persons/organizations other than the creator, associated places, and event notes.

AtoM aims to be a standards-compliant application that supports the description and access needs of its users; and as Artefactual is a Canadian company and a large part of our user-base is Canadian, it is doubly important to us that we offer robust support for our RAD template - even if many of the standard's features are rarely used by practicing archivists.

Off-list it has been suggested to me that we might use <ref>s and definition lists to manage these links in <odd>. I thought I would show an example, to see what people on-list think of such an approach for managing RAD-specific fields - we want to ensure that what we are producing is compliant, and comprehensible, even if it involves a bit of bending to get such library-based linkages into an archival metadata schema. This solution would allow us to continue using <unitdate>, though it does become somewhat more complex...

For context, RAD rules:
1.4B1 = dates of creation
1.4F = dates of publication, distribution, etc.
1.4C = place of publication, distribution, etc.
1.4D = name of publisher, distribution, etc.

<did>
  <!-- a few elements -->
  <unitdate datechar="creation" normal="1980/1989" encodinganalog="1.4B1"> 1980 - 1989</unitdate>
</did>

<odd>
   <list type="deflist">
      <ref target="111">