Hello all,

I am wondering about how other users are encoding dates that are not
specifically dates of creation in their EAD output.

As I understand it, <unitdate> in EAD 2002 is reserved explicitly for the
“creation year, month, or day of the described materials.” The @DATECHAR
allows for inclusion of some contextual information so that, for example,
“accumulation” can be noted. However, dates of contribution, publication,
manufacture, broadcast, and so forth do not seem like a natural fit for the
element.

In addition to dates of creation, the US content standard DACS allows for
dates of publication, broadcast, and “recordkeeping activity.” In Canada,
the RAD standard allows for dates of custody, publication, contribution,
collection, reproduction, distribution, broadcasting, and manufacturing
(often at the item level), in addition to creation and accumulation.

I am looking for solutions to managing these kinds of dates in EAD – we
have considered putting them in a <chronlist> as events like so:

<chronlist>

   <chronitem>

     <date type="broadcasting" normal="19990000/199990000">1999</date>

     <event>

       <note type="eventNote"><p>This is a note for Bobby
Broadcaster</p></note>

       <name>Bobby Broadcaster</name>

       <geogname>XXXXXXX</geogname>

     </event>

   </chronitem>

   <chronitem>

    NEXT EVENTS WOULD GO HERE....

   </chronitem>

</chronlist>

…where the <name> associated with an event would allow a link to be created
with an associated authority record. However, I am not sure if this is the
best solution. Where to put the <chronlist> in the EAD output remains a
problem as well – putting it in the <bioghist> does not seem appropriate as
many of the dates that could be included relate to the archival description
object and not the creator – different persons/organizations may be
associated with publication, broadcasting, and so forth.

Does anyone have a better suggestion for managing dates other than creation
associated with an archival description? Do you have examples of your EAD
output?

Thanks in advance,

Dan Gillean
Atom Product Manager / Systems Analyst,