Hi Everyone -

I just wanted to send an e-mail to invite you and your staffs to the Department of the Interior Library on Wednesday, August 7th from 10:00 to 11:15 am for a training session entitled "Introduction to Congress.gov" part of our series of free training sessions at the DOI Library.

Congress.gov, the successor to THOMAS.gov, is the new online resource for accessing free, fact-based United States legislative information. It is a collaborative effort by the Library of Congress, Senate, House of Representatives, and the Government Printing Office. Researchers can now search across all of the content in the system, refine their results, quickly see the status of a bill on a timeline, and view the new Member pages with sponsored and co-sponsored legislation. Additionally, the system is designed to dynamically fit any size screen being used, mobile, notebook, and/or computer. For many, a key feature is the use of durable URLs assigned to specific documents found in the database. Congress.gov is presently in the beta stage, so information from THOMAS is being migrated over in stages. The Congressional Record and the detailed list of Congressional actions per legislative bill were recently added. Other data, such as committee reports, nominations, and treaty information from the Senate Foreign Relations committee will be incorporated over time. When the migration is complete in late 2014, the older, more fragile THOMAS.gov will be retired.

Please join Pamela Barnes Craig, Senior Legal Reference Librarian at the Law Library of Congress, for an introduction to the new Congress.gov website, its current and planned resources, and tips on how to best navigate this valuable online legislative service.

All that are interested are invited.  The DOI Library is located in the Main Interior Building, located at 1849 C Street, NW, Room 1151 in Washington.  Space for the program is limited so please go to the following link to register:

https://docs.google.com/a/nbc.gov/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dDVHQUhwT3h4aVJURm14VVV0amR6SlE6MA#gid=0

Unfortunately, this class will not be offered remotely via webinar.

You may contact the Library by phone at (202) 208-5815 or by e-mail at [log in to unmask] for more information about this program.  For information about future DOI Library Training Sessions, we encourage you to visit our Training Sessions website athttp://www.doi.gov/library/programs/training.cfm.

We hope to see you on August 7th.

George Franchois
Director - U.S. Dept. of the Interior Library
Office of the Secretary - Office of Facilities and Administrative Services (OFAS)
1849 C Street, NW, MS 1151
Washington, DC 20240
E-Mail: [log in to unmask]
Phone: (202) 208-3796