From: Program for Cooperative Cataloging [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of John Reese
Sent: Sunday, July 14, 2013 11:25 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [PCCLIST] series vs. title proper?

"Fox, Chris" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Hi,
I've been cataloging The Frederick Douglass papers, published by Yale, which consists of 3 "series" each containing several separate books.  I have chosen to use OCLC bib record # 39290009 for the second series within the papers.  I noticed while searching OCLC that most titles put The Frederick Douglass papers in the 245 field, with subfields n and p providing more specificity.  However, there is one book in the second series called My Bondage and My Freedom (OCLC # 51900353), which has only that as the title proper, while The Frederick Douglass papers is in a 490/830.  There is a series authority record (ARN # 5998264) for it, but no corresponding auth records for series 1 and 3.  I'm just wondering about the appropriateness of this authority record.  Maybe there's something I'm just not understanding here, and if anyone can explain it to me, I would feel very enlightened.
Thanks,
Chris

Chris Fox
Catalog Librarian