From: Program for Cooperative Cataloging [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Davis, Carroll N
Sent: Monday, July 15, 2013 11:17 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: series vs. title proper?

FYI: The Library of Congress does not direct the series treatment practices that PCC (or other) institutions follow and I was not directly involved in cataloging The Frederick Douglass papers.  However, perhaps I can clarify a little what seems to be going on in the different records.

"The Frederick Douglass papers. Series one, Speeches, debates, and interviews", "The Frederick Douglass papers. Series two, Autobiographical writings", and "The Frederick Douglass papers. Series three, Correspondence" are all multipart monographs (= multipart items).  Of the three, however, only "The Frederick Douglass papers. Series two, Autobiographical writings" is a "series" in the first sense that RDA and AACR2 use:

"A group of separate resources related to one another by the fact that each resource bears, in addition to its own title proper, a collective title applying to the group as a whole."

In Series one and Series three, the individual parts are identified by spans of years, not individual titles proper.  No analytic titles, so no series.  Therefore, LC created only collective descriptions of Series one (LCCN 78016687) and Series three (LCCN 2009023125).

In the case of Series two, it appears LC applied the same collective-only treatment at first (in LCCN 98026125), when the first volume was called only "Narrative", likely because the cataloger did not consider that to be an analytic title proper.  (That volume is still controlled on collective record LCCN 98026125 in LC.)  Series two at that point, like Series one, was considered a multipart monograph, but not a series.  The nature of Series two as a monographic series only became apparent with the second volume, which has analytic title "My bondage and my freedom".  At that point, an LC cataloger created a separate analytic description for the analytic and the series authority record for Series two as a series; and the cataloger noted in the SAR "Item is more than a publication intended to reproduce the works of Douglass," perhaps to help as a "bridge" between the treatments of the first and second volumes.

A more accurate description of LC's series treatment might have been "partially analyzed", since the first volume remains under control on the collective record and the second volume is covered by its analytic record.  That is moot now, because LC's policy since June 2006 for cataloging analytics in monographic series is no longer affected by or reflected in series treatment information in series authority records: the LC policy is simply "analyze fully, classify separately" (which matches LC's practice with Series 2 since the second volume), and LC does not consult, create, or modify SARs.  That policy does not apply in the cases of Series one and Series three because they are not monographic series.

PCC and other institutions should make their own choices about cataloging of Series one, Series two, and Series three: do only collective cataloging for each of the three; analyze Series two to the extent the institution chooses and classify the analytics separately or as a collection, as the institution prefers; or any combination of collective and analytic descriptions that is considered practical and useful.

--
Carroll N. Davis, ABA, U.S. Arts, Sciences & Humanities Division, Library of Congress (on behalf of Policy and Standards Division) [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>, 202-707-2156