Hi everyone,

We ran across this authority record today with an interesting variant:

010  n 2012031573

040  DLC ǂb eng ǂc DLC ǂe rda

1001 Erdrich, Loren. ǂt Poems. ǂk Selections

4001 Erdrich, Loren. ǂt Poems. ǂk I take back the sponge cake

670  I take back the sponge cake, 2012.

Should the real title of the work be in a $k like that? Or is this an error?  If people are searching the catalog with the title as they know it (I take back the sponge cake), they won’t find it.

I know that you can be more free-form with variants in RDA so this might be okay, however, I haven’t seen this done on any other records of this ilk. This record, for instance, does not use the $t/$k in the variant:

010  n 2010075372

040  DLC ǂb eng ǂc DLC ǂe rda

1001 Finch, Peter, ǂd 1947- ǂt Poems. ǂk Selections

4001 Finch, Peter, ǂd 1947- ǂt Zen Cymru

670  Zen Cymru, 2010, ©2010.

Ryan J. Finnerty | Head, Database Management & NACO Coordinator

UC San Diego Library | Metadata Services Department

[log in to unmask] | (858) 822-3138