From: Program for Cooperative Cataloging [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Kevin M Randall
Sent: Wednesday, July 24, 2013 2:40 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [PCCLIST] Variants on authority records with conventional collective titles

Eek!!  Looks to me to be totally in error.  The 400 should be:

                400 1# Erdrich, Loren. $t I take back the sponge cake

Although, as I have expressed earlier in some other thread, this is really (IMNSHO) a misunderstanding of RDA 6.2.2.10, which says:  "If a compilation of works is known by a title that is used in resources embodying that compilation or in reference sources, apply the instructions at 6.2.2.4–6.2.2.5."

The actual title of the collection should be in the 100 field.  "Poems. Selections" is useful as a variant title, but totally unnecessary for the purpose of identifying the work.  (On the contrary—it helps to obscure the work!)

Kevin M. Randall

Principal Serials Cataloger

Northwestern University Library

(847) 491-2939