I agree with Chew Chiat Naun that conventional title data for collections
may eventually be more usefully found in genre/form data elements, but that
will depend on whether collections are described as works.The FRBR Review
Group's "Final report of the Working Group on Aggregates" (
http://www.ifla.org/files/assets/cataloguing/frbrrg/AggregatesFinalReport.pdf)
recommends that collections of expressions (one of the three
identified
types of aggregates) can often be sufficiently described at the FRBR
Manifestation level--"The aggregating work may, or may not, be deemed
important enough to be recorded." (Report, p. 7)

The problem is that FRBR itself states that subject relationships, which
presumably will someday include or be parallel to genre/form, are recorded
only in relation to works (FRBR 3.1.3). If an aggregating work is not
deemed important enough to be recorded, then where do subjects fit in?
Should FRBR be revised to permit subjects to be assigned to manifestations?
Can subjects assigned to aggregating works described only at the
manifestation level be considered to belong to an otherwise unidentified
and unrecorded FRBR work?  Will relating an aggregate to subjects and
genre/form be a case that requires that the aggregating work be recorded as
a work? As the Working Group on Aggregates report makes its way toward
incorporation into FRBR, these issues will need attention.

Another case on which more guidance could be helpful would be that of
collections known by a component work's title. "The Tennis Court Oath" is
the title of both a John Ashbery  poem and a collection of John Ashbery
poems, established for a bilingual AACR2 expression as "Ashbery... Tennis
court oath. $l Spanish & English." Assuming this preferred title decison
survives the transition to RDA, we could still want to distinguish between
it and the single poem with our authorized access points. Does the
unqualified title signify the collection, as now, and would a (Poem)
qualifier be added to the authorized access point for the single poem?
Should the single poem's AAP be unqualified and the collection qualified by
(Collection)? Guidance on how to handle such cases consistently would be
welcome.

Stephen

--
Stephen Hearn, Metadata Strategist
Technical Services, University Libraries