I think your last paragraph sums up the common sense approach “But a patron isn’t going to think about a conference name as an author.  He is going to search for it as title words.”

Over time, I have seen more and more records, both by LC and other libraries, just take questionable titles+other stuff as titles, starting at the top and reading down.   Conferences are not the only case where “creator” information can be included in “title words.”

For example:

245 10 Craig Claiborne's a feast made for laughter.

(This is a classic example where you need a 240 omitting the name in the possessive)

245 10 Walt Disney Productions presents The mystery box

245 10 Walt Disney Productions presents the princess who never laughed

… and similar titles.

(The two 245s cited are on LC records)

Keyword searching and liberal use of the 246 give us a lot of flexibility—if something might be seen in several ways, just get it down so that people can search it several ways.  I may be wrong, but I believe that most modern systems interpret “title words” to include the whole 245, and do not strictly limit by subfield delimiters.

In your example, I would not call any of these interpretations “wrong”

245 10 Book of abstracts / $c Conference on Minorities, Federalism and Politics in Nigeria,

In honor of Professor G.N. Hembe,15-18 July 2012.

245 10 Book of abstracts : $b Conference on Minorities, Federalism and Politics in Nigeria,

In honor of Professor G.N. Hembe,15-18 July 2012

245 10 Book of abstracts, Conference on Minorities, Federalism and Politics in Nigeria,

In honor of Professor G.N. Hembe,15-18 July 2012

Or, if the Conference was at the top of the title page

245 10 Conference on Minorities, Federalism and Politics in Nigeria,  In honor of Professor G.N. Hembe,15-18 July 2012 : $b book of abstracts

246 30 Book of extracts

In all of these cases, the “title words” are searchable by a flexible system, and the patron can intuit  from the description how the title page looks.   There would be a 111 for the conference in all cases.

Hope this helps,

Amy

Amy Turner

Monographic Cataloger and Authority Control Coordinator

Duke University Libraries