Others have already rightly commented that there is no clear 'right' approach in this case.

That being said, I personally prefer the one you suggest as 'not correct.'  For this reason:

The old AACR2 1.1F12 provision for 'noun phrases' did not make it verbatim into RDA 2.4.1.8 (and it isn’t EXACTY the situation you describe, in any case.   But I always found the AACR2 distinction very helpful.  If the data is indicative of the 'nature', it goes in the $b; if it is indicative of the 'role' (more of an 'action'). it goes in $c.  To me, what you describe is more about nature than role (e.g., there's no verb). And while RDA 2.4.1.8 seems to prescribe putting it in with the $c, one could argue (as I do) that there is no s.o.r. to put it in with.

Again, there is room to disagree, as some of us obviously do.  Not worth agonizing.  I personally prefer the one you admit to seeing most commonly -- $a : $b

As Amy has observed, the key is to get the data in there and make sure it can be found somehow.

Timothy J. Carlton

Senior Instructor

Cooperative and Instructional Programs Division

Library of Congress

202-707-5323

Usual disclaimers apply