Agreed. Similarly, lots of people are born or die in hospitals, but that's not what we want to name in 370 (or 373).

Stephen

On Tue, Jul 30, 2013 at 3:37 PM, Gary L Strawn <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

All this true stuff said, let us not forget that most organizations should be treated as such, and not as places.  (In other words, just because someone works at University X doesn't mean that University X should be in the 370 field—though the place in which University X is located might be.)  To put it all into perspective, here's a fun case which, in all fairness, is probably just simply rather than misconceived.  Alhough (of course!) this 370 isn't supported by information elsewhere in the record, it's still a good guess that the person works here, and wasn't born here:

Gary L. Strawn, Authorities Librarian, etc.           Twitter: GaryLStrawn

Northwestern University Library, 1970 Campus Drive, Evanston IL 60208-2300

e-mail: [log in to unmask]   voice: 847/491-2788   fax: 847/491-8306

Forsan et haec olim meminisse iuvabit.       BatchCat version: 2007.25.428

From: Program for Cooperative Cataloging [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Moore, Richard
Sent: Tuesday, July 30, 2013 1:15 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [PCCLIST] Place of death vs Affiliation

Stephen

I think it’s OK to use Karlag (Concentration Camp) in 370. I have an email from Dave Reser (who I hope won’t mind my taking his name in vain) from  February 2012, during the course of a discussion of 370 and non-jurisdictional place names, in which he says:

--
Stephen Hearn, Metadata Strategist
Technical Services, University Libraries