One thing we're still getting to grips with is the number of different
ways in which the same piece of information can be recorded. For
example, the name of a superior body might be recorded as part of a
subordinate body's preferred name (11.2.2.14), as an associated
institution (11.5) and/or by a relationship to a hierarchical superior
(K.4.3). At the moment we are not duplicating in 373 and 510 the name of
a superior body that is already recorded in a preferred or variant name
under 11.2.2.14 or 11.2.3.7, partly on the grounds that a "machine"
could be programmed to look for it anywhere in the record, but mainly on
the grounds of efficiency.

Where K.4.3 is concerned, I agree in principle with the minority view of
the Task Group to Formulate or Recommend PCC/NACO RDA Policy on
Authority Issues (N-23): "In order to ensure that the machine can
reliably and consistently collocate subordinate bodies, the presence of
the 510 field is necessary, even if to a human being it appears to be
redundant". However, given the paucity of these relationships currently
on the authority file, I found it hard to justify the extra time spent,
so we don't currently do it. I appreciate this is a self-defeating
argument...

Affiliation, and Associated Institution, recorded in 373 are a little
vague, and it might be useful to have more specific sub-elements and
extra MARC subfields (for as long as we are using MARC). These might be
for institutions where a person works, institutions where a person
studies, etc., but then this too duplicates possible relationships in
510.

I'd be interested to know how others are approaching this.

Regards

Richard

Richard Moore

Authority Control Team Manager