One thing we’re still getting to grips with is the number of different ways in which the same piece of information can be recorded. For example, the name of a superior body might be recorded as part of a subordinate body’s preferred name (11.2.2.14), as an associated institution (11.5) and/or by a relationship to a hierarchical superior (K.4.3). At the moment we are not duplicating in 373 and 510 the name of a superior body that is already recorded in a preferred or variant name under 11.2.2.14 or 11.2.3.7, partly on the grounds that a “machine” could be programmed to look for it anywhere in the record, but mainly on the grounds of efficiency.

Where K.4.3 is concerned, I agree in principle with the minority view of the Task Group to Formulate or Recommend PCC/NACO RDA Policy on Authority Issues (N-23): “In order to ensure that the machine can reliably and consistently collocate subordinate bodies, the presence of the 510 field is necessary, even if to a human being it appears to be redundant”. However, given the paucity of these relationships currently on the authority file, I found it hard to justify the extra time spent, so we don’t currently do it. I appreciate this is a self-defeating argument…

Affiliation, and Associated Institution, recorded in 373 are a little vague, and it might be useful to have more specific sub-elements and extra MARC subfields (for as long as we are using MARC). These might be for institutions where a person works, institutions where a person studies, etc., but then this too duplicates possible relationships in 510.

I’d be interested to know how others are approaching this.

Regards

Richard

Richard Moore

Authority Control Team Manager