The current instruction LC/NACO for modifying undifferentiated personal
name authorities is at LC's Descriptive Cataloging Manual, Z1, 008/32, and
it matches what you've done by changing 008/32 from b to a. The PCC Task
Group on the Creation and Function of Name Authorities in a Non-MARC
Environment has recommended a different practice along the lines you
describe, but that is only under discussion at this point.

The question of whether to add the 667 note to the "Cook, Paul (Paul
Harlin), 1950-" authority is an interesting one. I'd say that adding the
title was equivalent on someone's part to adding your Paul Cook as an
identity to the undifferentiated authority. Looking at the superseded
versions of the (formerly) undifferentiated authority in OCLC it's clear
that your Paul has been added not once by twice as an undifferentiated
identity, first as editor of American literature c2007 and again as editor
of The lost world. I'd say the 667 should be added to Paul (Harlin) Cook's
authority, if only to alert catalogers to look under "Cook, Paul" in OCLC
for additional records for Paul (Harlin) Cook titles.  I found and fixed a
number of them there just now, and would guess a more knowledgeable eye
would find others.

Of course, the "undifferentiated" authority is now marked as unique; and if
someone differentiates that Paul Cook with a qualifier, we begin to
approach the riddle wrapped in an enigma stage for anyone trying to follow
up on the 667 note, which refers only to the LCCN.

Stephen

--
Stephen Hearn, Metadata Strategist
Technical Services, University Libraries