Tom,
The LoC has a much broader mandate of preserving the "cultural climate",
including commercial entertainment.

Fortunately, the National Archives (and my organization within NARA, the
Office of Presidential Libraries) has had its own preservation program for
two-inch, that has included a large volume of (DC-centric) news and public
information programming.  Presidents since LBJ have been recording off-air
video of programming of interest to the Administration.  We have also been
preserving large quantities of Presidential campaign advertising on
two-inch. Like most federal agencies, we face a difficult budget climate
today, which challenges our ability to continue large-scale preservation
programs.

Steve Greene
Audiovisual Archivist
Office of Presidential Libraries
National Archives and Records Administration
(301) 837-1772