On 01/08/2013, Steve Greene wrote:

> Tom,
> The LoC has a much broader mandate of preserving the "cultural
> climate", including commercial entertainment.

One could think of "I Love Lucy" as a tribal ritual. When the Americans
are extinct, or are a small vanishing remnant, the history of their
culture and customs will be of great interest to anthropologists.

You can't predict what will be valuable to historians. But there is a
good chance they will be more interested in popular culture than in the
names of Presidents.

And you have to save a hundred things to be sure of having the one you
want.

> Fortunately, the National Archives (and my organization within NARA,
> the Office of Presidential Libraries) has had its own preservation
> program for two-inch, that has included a large volume of (DC-centric)
> news and public information programming. Presidents since LBJ have
> been recording off-air video of programming of interest to the
> Administration. We have also been preserving large quantities of
> Presidential campaign advertising on two-inch. Like most federal
> agencies, we face a difficult budget climate today, which challenges
> our ability to continue large-scale preservation programs.

Regards
--
Don Cox