On 08/29/2013 01:37 AM, Michael Biel wrote:
> If you or LC go thru the paperwork you will find that NBC did not have
> the right in the first place to record and keep the recordings.  I seem
> to recall seeing some memos in NBCs files to this effect, not
> specifically to BSO. This was in violation of musicians union contracts
> and rules because the musicians were not paid specifically for the
> recording, only the one-time live broadcast.

This isn't limited to orchestral broadcasts, either. Over on the OTR
digest we had the late Harry Bartell constantly reminding us in a very
gentlemanly and courtly fashion that linecheck/aircheck recordings were
also a violation of the AFRA contracts the actors all held, and that all
the OTR recordings everyone enjoys now are technically illegal.

Michael Shoshani
Chicago