On 8/14/13 4:07 PM, Tom Fine wrote:
> This is a viewpoint that is contrarian compared to some of the
> steeped-in-nostalgia perspectives seen often on this list. I'm not
> 100% in agreement with this guy, but he raises some valid issues. A
> niche market is too small a "tail" to wag a "dog." I disagree about
> 320kbps streams sounding "just like" a CD, and I've rarely had an
> internet connection that can sustain such a stream for hours of
> listening.
>
> Anyway, worth a read:
> http://trustmeimascientist.com/2013/08/08/why-vinyl-is-not-going-to-save-the-music-industry/
>

> -- Tom Fine
For a "scientist" he certainly seems to fervently believe some silly
bugaboos and then seems to simply discredit other equally unprovable or
wrong headed assertions. I don't think any rational person has the
expectation that vinyl will "save the music business" but I do think
that the undeniable growth in the field is a good sign that people are
(in some cases) willing to pay a premium for a high quality item. This
is a good omen in my book and we will see as the years roll by whether
this is just an anomalous blip on the radar of extinction or whether the
value added model of superior graphic design, credits and a high quality
pressing are things that will remain meaningful over a longer horizon.
The jury is still out...

AA